Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Don't Go There Alone

Now that the intensity of the Yoga Teacher Training is wearing off, my mind is back to its old tricks. When I've got time to worry about stuff, I do. Or at least that's what I've been doing this past year. I've done my meditation retreats, I've done my daily practice, I lead the workshops, I read the books, and still! Still it will go down those streets that lead to dark, nowhere places. I've even gone down those roads, sat down, felt what's there, and it STILL won't disperse.

So today when a Landmark buddy said to me, "a long time ago someone told me that your mind is like Harlem - this was a long time ago, Harlem's changed - don't go there alone," I really listened up. Just don't go there. I know what's there. And today it's not useful. So I am not going. And I watch how I'm being pulled there and today's discipline is I'm not going.

I know the danger of keeping too busy - I teach people to slow down! And lately, I've also noticed the value in being super-busy. Obviously there's some brahmacharya involved - moderation. Be busy, take rest. Have some rest, get busy. And I'm aware that being busy can be avoiding something else - and I've checked it out and in this case it's just simply appropriate to distract myself and get busy.

No comments: