Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mothers Day Coming Up


Tomorrow's Mother's Day. Remi and I are teaching Mother-Daughter Yoga again, which should be a lot of fun. We've been having a good time lately and now that I'm not spending a bunch of time doing all sorts of other things, we're spending a little more time together. Almost two weeks ago we did a photo shoot with Robin at unposed.com and it was so much fun that even without seeing the pictures, Remi wanted to do it again right away.

Today's her recital and it's a time to celebrate all of the hard work she's been up to this year. I hardly know anyone at the group recitals because her dad takes her to the group violin classes on Fridays. I take her to the private class during the week - we do Suzuki, so there's one group class and one private class each week - but I only see the other kids and parents a couple of times a year at concerts.

So I got a new, bigger viola the other day. I've played it a few times but it's going to take some getting used to. Remi can play her songs on a lower string so we can play together, but if I read the music as written and she plays what she knows, we're in different keys and it sounds, uh, unharmonious. Quite dissonant, really, and it's okay for a few seconds, but after that it's just wrong.

When I played as a younger person I would get tightness in my body and I remember one of my teachers pointing out that I held my breath while I played. I think that's probably really common for players in general and I can remind myself now to breathe.

It's my intention that my playing support Remi's and that we can play some tunes together. Some duets! And I'd also like to learn some songs that maybe she could accompany me on! I'll let you know how it's going.

No comments: