Pages

Monday, April 21, 2008

Spring Comes at a Price

Every year around this time it feels like I'm coming down with a cold. And I've learned after many years of this happening - this being that it feels like I'm coming down with a cold for a couple of weeks but the cold doesn't manifest - that this is not a cold but it is "allergies." And I know I'm not alone. My neighbours and colleagues tell me similar stories.

I was just talking to someone at CHEO about it a minute ago. She feels tired and achey and she said it feels like her head goes sideways. I had a sore throat and now a sore head and if I turn just so it becomes a wicked headache, but just for a sec.

I love spring. I love warmer weather. I love the changing of the seasons. But this is the part that I really could do without. When I was in South Africa it didn't happen. The weather there was different and the change of seasons didn't bring on these symptoms. I've heard that Ottawa is one of the worst places in the world for allergies because of the valley and the type of trees we have growing here and stuff. I don't know for sure about any of that, but I know this feels gross.

And it passes. It hasn't passed yet, but I know in a few days or weeks it will move on and my system will stabilize and I'll be back to balance. In the meantime I am more careful with what I eat and drink and take care to get enough rest and not overdo it.

So I've spent a week feeling under the weather and enjoying it at the same time!

No comments: