Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Yogis and Ice Cream

I was just thinking I'd like a snack and now that I don't have as much chocolate around in the house I was thinking about something else I'd like to eat and what popped into my head was ice cream! Now, I happen to have a lot of ice cream in the freezer at the moment because it was on sale at Loeb and when I went last night to get strawberries, I picked up two kinds of ice cream because they were so much cheaper than usual.

This morning I'm working on getting parts of my dvd up online so you can see them. If you were to see the Six Movements of the Spine you'd be able to see that I like ice cream because my belly is quite visible in those shots and well, you can't see it, so just trust me. So I had Reese's Peanut Butter ice cream and Mars, I believe. Yummy.

And it turns out that sweet, milky foods have been part of the yogi culture for as long as yogis have been around. When I was in India we drank buffalo milk mixed with Ovaltine and other powdered sugars, as well there were mango lassis and other sweet yoghurt drinks.

It wasn't until I moved into a yoga ashram though, that I found out I could eat a whole pint of ice cream in one sitting. And I don't believe I've actually eaten a whole pint of ice cream since then and it was along time ago now, but I know I'm capable of it. I lived in such a highly structured environment partly to let the shit hit the fan (tapas), and we had ways to act out and push the envelope that I hadn't used before. I'd used the smoking, drinking outlets when I was in university, but it wasn't until I gave that all up (for the most part) and moved into the 'shram that I explored ice cream eating.

When I was growing up if we bought ice cream at the grocery store it was all eaten for sure by the end of the day. It didn't sit around in the freezer for a week or longer, as it does now in my house. When I got my own place it was such a novelty to have ice cream still there, where I had put it! Sometimes it goes bad or just all crystallized because it's been there for so long.

Moderation is what I go by mostly. I don't think the containers I bought last night will be around for a month or anything, but I'm not going to try and polish them off today for sure. And my daughter doesn't share my taste in ice cream. She prefers sour sorbets, which is not something I like much of at all. So if you're in the mood for ice cream, give me a shout and you can share some with me!

No comments: